Is this a bloody stool? Help needed!

Thanks! Is there any benefit of the powder over the liquid? I can add the liquid to the water as well right? Not having to give shots is my preference

How long does the Tylan 50 keep good? Wondering if I can get some if I should stock up a bit.

Penny seems to be eating better all day. Any thoughts on the newest poop?

How can I definitively tell if she’s blind in the left eye? Would she be cocking her head to one side all the time? I haven’t seen that but I can watch more closely for that behaviour.

Amazon only has the Tylan 200. Red barn doesn’t have any at all. So all set to send DD 95 miles tomorrow to get it at TSC. Then thought: I didn’t look at TSC for the Tylan 200 - and a TSC only 45 miles away has it and it’s $10 cheaper than Amazon. So DD is going to go get it tomorrow.

I also ordered a multipack of syringes off eBay. Won’t get them for a week but I have some here to get me thru until they arrive.

I guess I’ll have her get some of the Corid too so I have it on hand. I’m slowly putting together a chicken medicine chest!

Anything else I should make sure to have handy?

I have been putting one together too. I think some of the less expensive basics would be epsom salts, vaseline, some kind of oil -- i like Neutrogena Sesame Bath Oil (doesn't get sticky), triple antibiotic without pain reliever, monistat or lotrimen antifungal cream, Corid, Nutridrench, honey or molasses. That's all i can think of right now. And syringes! Maybe gauze and vetwrap. And a gentle detergent like Dawn. And a basin they can be soaked or partially bathed in. Towels. Puppy pads for litter free caging. Scissors. What else?

I just online ordered the Tylan 200 and the Corid from TSC with pick up at the store 45 miles away. Since order was over $50 I used a $5 off coupon code. Helps offset the price of gas to get the stuff - lol! And this way I can start the Tylan treatment tomorrow afternoon.

I have some of the stuff you mentioned in the house anyway (Vaseline, monistat, triple antibiotic cream, disposable gloves, I bought ducolax and mineral oil for a crop issue on another hen that is still an issue, etc). But not sure what use some of your listed items is for chickens. Honey and molasses? The bath oil? What is the Epson salt used for? I also bought baby vitamins but got the chicken kind at TSC a few days ago (much cheaper and I’m using it a lot on various chickens as a boost as I do have a number of issues going on ).

Oh and I did read that the injectible does NOT go into the water but can be syringed into the mouth. I’ve gotten pretty good at doing that the past several days - lots of practice all of a sudden. Sigh.

TSC’s website has Tylan which can be shipped to the store I believe. Most stores that have cattle supplies will sell Tylan 50 or 200, but 200 is more expensive and the dosage is 1/4 as much. The bubbly right eye could be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. That is a chronic respiratory disease, and Tylan can treat symptoms. If you have a regular friendly vet, they might be able to get some Tylan (tylosin) soluble powder to put in the water. Edited to say that you can get the Tylan oral powder without a prescription here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
I thought Penny’s symptoms matched more closely to MG when I read the article. Hopefully getting and using the Tylan tomorrow will be of some help.

Could you kindly tell me again what the dosage should be using the 200? My brain is seriously fried and I don’t want to make an mistake on top of all the mistakes I’ve already made with her

I ended up going to TSC myself. Turned out not was 65 miles away but at least an easy drive. Got the Tylan 200 and using the dosage instructions here we have given every chicken the first dose. It cooled off this evening and there was a nice strong breeze and everyone was out on the yard scratching away before bedtime.

It’s been very stressful with all of this going on for the last few weeks. It was such a blessing to have tonight with all the girls active and acting normal - it gives me strength to carry on thru this difficult time. That sounds corny but it’s true.

And as an extra positive tonight - Ruby (Sapphire Gem) laid her first egg!

I also bought Corid. Should I give that to the flock too?? Or wait the 5 days until I’m done with the Tylan? I’m not seeing any signs of worms or blood in stools (other than the one that started this thread) so not thinking it’s strictly necessary right this minute but maybe I should as a preventative?

Back
Top Bottom