Is this a Blue Cochin splash or Langshan? Unsure of gender/breed.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LeanneP, Aug 1, 2014.

1. LeanneP

LeanneP In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    This is Mrs. Doubtfire (now aka "Fluffy"). (S)he was my "free" mystery chick from Murray McMurray. This is the quietest bird of the entire bunch, and whenever (s)he does chirp, it's very different sound from all of the others. (S)he is also very large and was very, very slow to get any feathers. I have a Black Cochin Roo who is the biggest chick besides this one (though he is definitely the man of the chicken house).

I don't mind if she turns out to be a "he", but I'm a little concerned because (s)he isn't as much of a "lap chicken" as we have groomed our known rooster to be, so I want to be sure to start bugging him more so that I don't have to worry about the grandchildren around them.

(S)he is 7 weeks old in the main pics, and the 1 week old pic she is with the other chick I don't know the breed of (they are both splash with a slate bluish hue).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    McMurray doesn't carry Langshans in Blue, so if it is a feather footed splash from them it would almost have to be a Splash Cochin... that is a lot of pink comb/wattle in the second pic.

3. LeanneP

LeanneP In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    It is darker (more red) than I could get the pics to show. The reason for the red hue in the pic is because I was covering the flash with my finger (it's a dreary, stormy day here so the flash just flooded everything out). I only have one other cochin in the mix, and I know he's a boy, but nothing else really to compare to.

4. LeanneP

LeanneP In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    Just thought I'd update that Fluffy is indeed a blue splash cochin male. He's 8 months old now and weighs somewhere between 10-12lbs. He was the last of the 3 to crow, having only started about 6-7 weeks ago. He's also kept that "different" vocal sound thus far. He kinda "womps" and reminds me of a grumpy old man LOL

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks for the update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: