Is this a boy or girl? And how about this EE? *New Pics Added*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cricketofthesea, Oct 11, 2011.

1. cricketofthesea

cricketofthesea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    Edit: So the BR is definitly a boy, and the EE is probably too. I posted new pics on page 2!

Hi, I need help with my Production Black Pullet, a Leghorn Hybrid from Ideal Hatchery in Texas. I'm suspicious its a male due to its comb and behavior (this kid will take on any dog or grown chicken it sees!) but wanted to get some other opinions! He/She is six weeks old.

[​IMG]

I also have this EE pullet that never had ear muffs or a beard, she (hopefully not he!) is six weeks old too. Does it look like a girl and how long will it take for her to get facial feathers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The barred one does look like a rooster; color, tail feathers and comb all look like rooster. I'll leave the EE for the experts to comment on.

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    The barred rock is a cockerel, but the EE i am leaning toward a pullet. You sure they are only 6 weeks they look older than that to me.
    *ETA the bump on the leg where the spur is, does not mean its a cockerel. Most chickens have them and a hen can even grow spurs, and they dont start growing very much until they are a few months old.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    That is a roo. He is probably a BSL not a BR.

The other looks like a pullet to me.

Rethinking it might be a roo too. Three rows and pink [​IMG]

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i agree, BR is a cockerel. your EE looks as if it does not have a beard or muffs as some EE's do, it happens sometimes [​IMG]

Edited: i believe your EE is also a cockerel due to the pinking on the comb

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    They both look like cockerels. The Leghorn Hybrid definitely. And the EE has a typical male coloring and 3 distinct rows of peas for 6 weeks.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your production black is a roo. The ee, I'm not sure about. Usually I can tell by color but this color always throws me off. Right off, I'm thinking pullet, but post again in a few weeks. And it won't get a beard, they're either born with them or don't have them.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the barred one is a roo and the 2nd one looks to be pullet at this age

9. honfor500

honfor500 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Id say The production black is a roo and I have two EE pulets that will be 6 weeks on thursday and they look a lot less developed then yours but I would still say pullet.

10. cricketofthesea

cricketofthesea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    Thanks for the help everyone! They do seem big for their age but everyone is six weeks old tomorrow. Maybe it's all the extra watermelon they love so much [​IMG] That or still sleeping in a pen in our kitchen, we don't have the heart to put them out in the cold coop!

So we have one definite roo and a possible pullet/probably roo EE. I'll keep my fingers crossed! So far the EE acts very hen-like compared to our two roos, who are more brave and dominate, but we'll see. Tomorrow I can post more pics of our other EE pullet for comparison.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by