Is this a BOY?

alamogirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Fort Wayne
33765_dsc_4690.jpg

I really don't have any idea how old 'Mary' is. She was missing almost all her tail and back feathers. They guy we got her from said she was about 4 months and that was over 1 month ago. But no eggs yet, and she was making some strange noises this afternoon. Not really a crow, but a strange gurgling sound. She's not at all aggressive or rooster like??????

The other BR has much paler waddles and comb.

Sorry this is the best shot. Her legs do look a bit "thicker" stronger? than the others...

Thanks so much! If it's a boy, I got to find a new home ASAP.

33765_dsc_4690.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a boy to me. barred rocks can usually be sexed by their color once their feathers come in. boys are much lighter in color than girls. your "Mary" had the coloring of a roo.

Rooster!

Some folks honestly would lie to you, by pulling off the tail feathers and say its a hen. Jeez, try stripping out the neck feathers and call that a turken!
he.gif

Sorry!

The comb color is not the issue. Barred hens are darker than barred roosters. Though that may not be the case with Barred Rocks. At twelve weeks it's not likely a hen would be that red in the comb. So I would guess a roo. Sorry
You could google Barred Rocks and compare yours to the pics.

Rancher

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom