is this a Brahma thing?...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by v.cyr, Jun 6, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    each one of our new Brahmas, (3 pullet chicks and the "teenage" roo) fall asleep within seconds when they get picked up and held... they initially panic when you grab them, but once you have a hold of them, they completely relax and nod off... I am still something of a novice chicken keeper myself, but I grew up on a farm, and am not completely unfamiliar with poultry... these are the first birds I have encountered that do this... the most I had ever seen a bird do before when held is become still and calm, and only a few of them ever did that...is that a typical Brahma behavior?...

2. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my first Brahmas back in April so I am a newbie also! They were 3-4 weeks old when I got them. From the beginning they fuss when picked up but quickly snuggle down and close their eyes. Compared to my BA, BO, RIR, and EE chicks from previous years the Brahmas are very calm. The only other breed that I have that is this relaxed about being handled are my Speckled Sussex.

3. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    so it is a common thing for Brahmas then... I had heard they where calm and docile, but this was new for me...

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My brahmas that turned 3 years old this past April are still my calmest birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by