Is this a broken egg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coop2cupcakes, Feb 25, 2017.

1. coop2cupcakes

coop2cupcakes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    I have a 3 year old RIR that has only laid 1 egg in the last 8 months or so and this morning found her in the coop laying down with her head in dirt, lathargic, I don't know how long she has been there. Not sure if anybody in the family check on the coop yesterday so she could of been there over night and it was in the low 40's last night. The picture is what I found in the nesting box. Is this a broken egg? and she might still have some inside?

I gave her a warm bath, used a syringe with water and slightly flushed out her vent. Some white stuff did come out. I have some oxytetracycline I mixed with water and gave her some with a dropper.

What else should I do?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I agree. It sure looks like a broken egg. I think you've done everything that you can do, except for an antibiotic. If this egg broke inside her, her oviduct could be infected. A vet can set you up with it.

Meanwhile, electrolytes for shock would be a good idea. And keep her hydrated.

3. coop2cupcakes

Dec 14, 2014
    thanks, isn't oxytetracycline an antibiotic?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, it's a broad spectrum antibiotic, but it's not approved for use in laying hens. If you use it, discard any eggs for several weeks after use. If she ever lays again, that is.

5. coop2cupcakes

Dec 14, 2014
    Well she seemed good this am and ate scratch and some sour cream but 3 hours later we found she passed away.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by