Is this a Buff orpington and is this a roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by herbmom, Jun 5, 2011.

1. herbmom

herbmom Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Utah
    I was told this is a Buff Orpington. She is more golden than the other Buff that we got at IFA with her.
    top head view
    [​IMG]

top view
    [​IMG]

side view 1
    [​IMG]

Side view 2
    [​IMG]

Front view
    [​IMG]

On the left is our Buff on the right is Goldie the one in question pic 1
    [​IMG]

On the left is our Buff on the right is Goldie the one in question pic 2
    [​IMG]

So what do you think? Is Goldie a Roo or hen? She belongs to my 7yr old and if it's a roo he has to go due to our area. At what age do they start to crow? Our chicks are about 5 weeks old. They are from IFA. Not my first choice to buy chicks from. So far they all seem healthy.

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I find color variations with my buffs.. some are more golden colored while others are a lighter. I would say that yes.. it is a buff.. and it looks like a little roo to me.. I could be wrong though

Shelly

3. herbmom

herbmom Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Utah
    I have a feeling it's a roo. The legs are thicker than the others. My daughter things it's a sexlink, don't know why as we don't have any chicken experience of any kind ;-). Anyway When do they start crowing? We are not allowed roos and I want to start looking around for chicks available for my son to pick out if this turns into a roo. Also how well would a new chick get along with the others? We would like to try going with the same size/age to make it easier.

The six we have have been best of buddies, cuddling every night and no hen picking. We are suppose to have 2 Americanas, 2 buff Orpington and 2 rhode Island reds. I'll post pictures of all of them.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thinking a Roo too, but those Orpingtons give me a hard time judging the sexes!

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Quote:2x [​IMG]

6. minichic

minichic Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My BO girls will be 11 weeks old tomorrow and have less comb than "Goldie" does; which makes me lean towards Roo [​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Guessing U have a boy goldie [​IMG]

8. Chicky Chick Mama

Chicky Chick Mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    western kentucky
    My BO's are 15 weeks old now, but early on we could tell the roos from the pullets. Yeah, my little roos were a little darker colored and they started developing combs really early. In the picture below, the "upper" chick is on of our BO roos.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by