Is this a California White?

Bcmacias

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
Our chicken just laid her second egg today. We got her as a chick from tractor supply, thinking she is a California white and will lay white eggs. We were shocked when we saw two light brown eggs from her. So is she a California white? She does have tan feathers on her chest which I always thought was unusual for a California white. Please let me know what breed you think she is. Will her eggs ever be white? Or, will the eggs always stay the same color? I thought maybe the first few could be different from the rest...or is this wishful thinking?
2AD739B1-7D48-4955-8E30-1A113512A4C5.jpeg
08E2440C-4B40-49DA-9710-F0495D9B05B2.jpeg
E2F3AEBF-F910-4B5B-9180-FF8E5780AC51.jpeg
F7CFFB65-52BC-461C-B17F-7A2CDB4EACBD.jpeg

Our chicken just laid her second egg today. We got her as a chick from tractor supply, thinking she is a California white and will lay white eggs. We were shocked when we saw two light brown eggs from her. So is she a California white? She does have tan feathers on her chest which I always thought was unusual for a California white. Please let me know what breed you think she is. Will her eggs ever be white? Or, will the eggs always stay the same color? I thought maybe the first few could be different from the rest...or is this wishful thinking?View attachment 2453552View attachment 2453554View attachment 2453555View attachment 2453556
Pretty girls

Definitely not a California White.

This is my California White. As you can see, Chipotle is all white with no brown/red tons in her feathers, just little flecks of black.
1201200814a_HDR.jpg

I can't recall seeing any particular breed that has a big single comb and that buff lacing. Hopefully someone more expert than I will have an idea.

The color seems too light to be a red sexlink. I'd wonder about her being an F2 Easter Egger or Olive Egger who is among that percentage of such that lay brown eggs but that big single comb seems unlikely for that.

I cannot keep up with the new "hybrids".

Is she one of those Something-light (Starlight maybe?) Green Eggers?

I say she lays brown eggs, but here is a pic of some brown eggs that Ginger (our ISA Brown) laid... and then Pearl’s egg. I thought it was brown, maybe that’s not an accurate description. Does that help any with narrowing down of the breed?

Back
Top Bottom