Is this a California White?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by onthespot, May 4, 2008.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    here it is as a baby.
    [​IMG]

And here it is now. I think it's a pullet. it is very VERY tame with minimal handling.
    [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I dont know what a California white is, but that looks blue to me [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't know if it's a California White or not, but how old is it in the second picture? It looks more like a roo to me.

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    It looks like a splash roo to me. Some types of white chicks will start out with smoky or gray down, but this isn't one of them.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If that chick is under 3-4 months old... it's a boy.

It's also not a cali white as cali whites look like leghorns with a few black feathers.

Interesting that the legs have gone from yellow to that bleached white. From my experience, to go from orange legs to bleached legs, takes 3-4 months of laying.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    My best guess is that it is a early to mid march hatch. I thought the legs were odd too. Also the tame disposition. Its primary wing feathers always look disheveled, no matter how I house it. It was really REALLY skinny and weak when I got it. I just put Start n' Grow in front of it and said, get busy livin, or get busy dyin' and by golly it got busy living. It was a free chick by a cash register at a bird store and I just liked the color of it and wanted to see how it turned out. If it is a boy for sure, the experiment might be over. I am not THAT interested in how it turns out, LOL. I have better birds to pour feed through. If i thought it might lay eggs for me I wouldn't mind feeding it, but just for the curiosity factor, nah, not that nosy. LOL Thanks all for the guesstimations on what it is.

7. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Quote:Was thinking the same thing. My Cali White looks nothing like that chick. She
    was a yellow chick and now fully white.

8. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    it looks like a california gray to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by