Is this a cataract?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PipieTuke, Jul 3, 2016.

1. PipieTuke

PipieTuke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2016
    I don't know what's wrong with her she is not fully grown and she has this thing in her eye. When you flash a black light on it it looks like she has no pupil so I don't know i don't have a good pic of it but here is a pic[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if these will help but there are some picks.

2. PipieTuke

Jul 2, 2016
    Oh and no I'm not strangling my. Chicken I am holding its head steady

3. MontanaChickDoc

MontanaChickDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    A cataract is an abnormal hardened or crystallized lens. It's hard to tell from the pics if the white thing is on the surface of the eye (cornea) or in the eye (cataract). What do you think? On it or in it?

4. PipieTuke

Jul 2, 2016
    It's in the eye it's cloudy. But I thought you get cataracts because your old and she is just growing her grown up feathers.

5. PipieTuke

Jul 2, 2016
    Can chicks get cateracts?

6. MontanaChickDoc

MontanaChickDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Yes they can. In a young bird it might be because an infection or damage to the lens from trauma. Anything that damages the lens makes it change from clear to unclear, so the light bounces off of it instead of going through. In young birds, avian encephalomyelitis virus and vitamin E deficiency can cause cataracts too. Are your birds on a commercial diet? If feed gets too hot the vitamins can break down. The good news is it is not usually painful and she can still see out of the other eye.

7. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I agree with Montanachickdoc this trauma she spoke of could be as simple as another
    chick pecked and connected with the eye what type of food do you feed them
    a pellet or a crumble?

8. PipieTuke

Jul 2, 2016
    My chicks eat producers pride cracked corn and evry once and a whole I'll give then a melon rind

PS I'll give then whole corn soon we could not find it at our lookalike tractor supply

9. PipieTuke

Jul 2, 2016
    Cracked corn for now

10. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Your chicks need to eat chick food. Cracked corn does not provide the nutrients they require. Chick starter or grower depending on their age. How old are they? Even as adults whole corn will not provide what they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by