1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a chicken? I think maybe

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eamberson, Mar 22, 2013.

1. eamberson

eamberson New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    This "bird" is on my Aunt's roof. Is this a chicken? If so, what kind? If not, any ideas what kind of bird it might be. Located in Alabama!

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Looks like some kind of pheasant.

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    x2

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] X3 on the pheasant

5. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    X4

6. eamberson

eamberson New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yes, Golden Pheasant! The little Mennonite store close to my house keeps some Golden pheasants in an enclosed pen. The hens look just like your bird. The cocks are more brightly colored and have the lloonngg, beautiful tails. I wonder if she escaped from someone?

8. eamberson

eamberson New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Possibly because they're not usually found in Alabama (native to China according to Wikipedia). Where my Aunt lives is very suburban-ish (neighborhood with houses pretty close together). I would think they would know if someone near them keeps pheasants. It's apparently still on the roof. They're gonna try to get it down without scaring it into the dog pen!

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could wait until nightfall. I would assume pheasants go into a trance at night like most other birds. Climb a ladder and pick her right up!

10. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    its a young red golden male pheasant and you better have a long handle net and no lights what so ever, as they will move/ fly at night just like in the daytime

females don't change colors but the males do, it takes the males 2 yrs before they get their full colors. This one has started the color change, so he is just under a year old

what ever you use for keeping it, IF you catch it, needs to be no bigger than 2x4 wire or chain link wire. If an adults fist can fit through any hole or gap in the wire so can the bird. and they do fly very well

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by