Is this a chicken owner's rite of passage?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AKsmama, Aug 5, 2010.

1. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I was hanging out in the coop for a few minutes this afternoon. Some of the chicks (4 weeks old now) like to come sit on my arms or shoulders. One Black Star perched on my shoulder and played with my earrings and snuggled in my hair. She was there a few minutes and I turned to look at her. WHAM! Pecked right in the eye. Took half a second. I gave it a few minutes to see if it would stop hurting. It didn't, so I loaded up the kids and headed to a walk-in clinic as my regular doc couldn't fit me in. Sure enough, corneal abrasion. *sigh* So add me to the "I've been pecked in the eye by my chicken" club. Guess my eye looked like a big grape to her. It hurts like heck! I think I'll hang a pair of safety glasses on the coop wall. . .

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    OW!!!! I am so sorry that happened- I thought maybe you were going to say you got pooped on - that was my right of passage- hope your eye heals up fast!

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Rights of passage: the eye poke, being pooped on, and the earring snatch! AKsmomma-Youve got 2 to go

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Quote:That's what I thought, too.

OW!

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been pooped on, and had my earring taken away.... only reason it's not 3 of 3 is that I wear glasses.

Hope your eye gets to feeling better. Did they give you some sterile petroleum jelly to put in it for a few days? I got some grit in mine and that little tube of jelly was a lifesaver, by keeping the eyelid from scraping the abrasion. The safety glasses sound like a good idea, too!

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:I have safety glasses for shooting and don't think I do not wear them into the coop for cleaning...because I surely do.

7. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    My very first chicken years ago was a roo that my ex brought home as a tiny little day old, and he turned out to be wicked mean, and he LOVED to go right for the eyes. I wear glasses but his aim was so precise that he got me in the eye DESPITE my glasses, and man did it hurt. He didn't get me full on, or I could have lost an eye, but he went after my kids eyes too, and he bit like mad, so we had to get rid of him. You have to really watch that chicken body language closely. If they are on your shoulder you need to watch them carefully out of the corner of your eye, and if they look like they are staring at you, they are, get them away from your face immediately. My little Showgirl, 4 weeks old was sitting on my chest this afternoon and I moved and she caught a glimpse of the white of my eye, and she positioned herself, and I knew she was getting ready to peck, so I quickly distracted her, and she relaxed and forgot about my eyes. Much as I love my chickens, I also love my vision! Lol!

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    About 2 weeks ago one of our barred rock babies then age 7 weeks one was sitting on my daughters head. She looked up the chick looked down then PECK right in the eye and she was wearing glasses! Luckly not hard but scared her. After that she doesnt look up when one decides to sit on her head. (by the way she is 24 not a little kid)

9. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Only been pooped on for the first time today! My gals are 15 weeks old so I had a decent "never pooped" on run going--oh well. [​IMG] I wear glasses and rarely wear earrings so guess the poop is my right of passage. They do a rapid peck a small spot on my hand though--hurts like the dickens!

10. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    i have been pooped on, and they also try to get my nose ring, and they have tried the eye but thankfully i am faster hehe, but like the idea of hanging safety glasses in the coop..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by