1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Chinese goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by hatykuber, Apr 22, 2017.

1. hatykuber

hatykuber Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    I brought home my first goose today and the lady I purchased her from couldn't remember her breed. After a little research I'm thinking she's a Chinese. I've never had geese but she's a sweetheart, love her already! [​IMG][/IMG]

2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    You could be right. There are brown Chinese geese, but there are also African geese. I am not educated enough to make the decision, so I'd wait until someone more familiar with goose breeds chimes I'm before coming to any conclusions.

3. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    African or Chinese. It's hard to get a feeling of size and weight from the photo. Very pretty though. Congratulations!

African 12.5 - 15.5 lbs
    Chinese 9 - 10.5 lbs

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. hatykuber

hatykuber Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    Thanks guys! African and Chinese is what I was looking at too. Looks like my first photo didn't show up so I'll attach it again. Yes she is laying eggs, she is three years old so maybe that has something to do with the size of her knob, I don't know anything about geese yet. [​IMG]

5. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    She looks a lot like my Chinese goose but it's hard to tell how big she is. ;) Doesn't really matter as both African and Chinese geese are from China. She's gorgeous. Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by