1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a Copper Maran or Giant Black Jersey chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jfrk4ever, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Jfrk4ever

Jfrk4ever Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Central Indiana
    HI - we inherited 11 baby chicks from a girlfriend who hatched a dozen eggs for a 4-H/Homeschool project for her kids. She had no idea what breeds she was getting and the flock is pretty mixed. A good half dozen, though, look like this picture. From looking online at chick pictures, I am wondering if it is either a Copper Maran chick or a Giant Black Jersey chick (maybe I'm wrong on both counts!) Can anyone else give me some pointers/thoughts? I am new to chickens, still! :)

Thanks!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

I think maybe black australorps or jersey giants, marans look different. They are so cute!

3. ChickenLover603

ChickenLover603 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    If there are no feathers on their legs, they aren't marans.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Not all Marans have feathered legs, but I agree. They look like Jersey Giants or Austrolorps.
    Nikki

5. Jfrk4ever

Jfrk4ever Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Thank you everyone for your responses!! I agree the chicks mostly likely seem to be either Giant Black Jersery or Australorps!! They really look similar to the Australorps in the pictures I've looked at since your responses! :)

Excited to see what they look like as they get older! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by