Is this a Cornish cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kansaseq, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I bought "True Ameracauna" eggs off of ebay, knowing they would be EE's. This guy has always reminded me of Arnold Schwartzenager with his muscular build. If he is a cornish cross, I won't keep him as they are not good layers and I don't want that in my lines. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Nah, he has the typical big body.. Cornish would be short and stout.

ETA: Does he have a walnut comb? That'd mean he's probably PART oriental game/sumatra, they have fairly wide bodies (love it).. Even if so though, the production from the ameracauna and whatever else in his blood can counter the production of eggs..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Who told you they're not good layers? Can't say I've heard that before. Gorgeous bird.

4. danielbrown

danielbrown Songster

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    He not a Cornish cross or Cornish. He look like an EE

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    He is definitly not a cornis cross. They are usually all white and have a different body type. He's beautiful, are you going to keep him?

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    They know he's a EE because they bought him as a "true ameracuana" but what they're asking is if he was crossed with a cornish to produce the big body.. Cornish cross can mean more then broilers because they are crosses of cornish.

7. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:Sorry, my mind went to cornish cross, the meat bird, not "crossed with cornish." I don't see that either though. He does look any wider than my roo did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Thanks.I can be clear as mud sometimes (especially at O-my-dog-thirty in the morning).
    As for the walnut comb, I'm not sure. Always thought it was more of a pea comb, but it's changed as he has matured. I will have to try and grab a pic later.

Happy Mtn--I read up on the cornish breed and it said that they are poor layers. Is that innaccurate? It was a hatchery catalog, so it wouldn't suprise me if it wasn't right. Thanks for the lovely compliment!

Smartie_Pants--thanks for the lovely compliment. He used to be my ugliest bird, but now I think he's rather handsome and unique.

You guys have saved him from eviction. I am getting a blue orp and one of my roos has to go to make room. Marilyn will now get to stay (but Scotch Jr gets the boot).

Thanks for all of your input. BYC'ers are the best!

9. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Songster

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Gorgeous rooster!
    Is he a good roo? I had to give away my EE roo because he was a bully, a rapist, dumb as a bag of hair but worst of all a rank yellow bellied coward. When there was a threat he would about run over the hens to get away, instead of sticking up for them like the other roos. The hens all despised him (they would squat for my PR roo but not for the EE so he had to do the ole "surprise" method. Sometimes facing the wrong way!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] )
    Since he went away its been soooo peaceful.

10. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    He's only recently hit puberty, so I'm not sure if he'll be a good roo or not. I'm hoping, though. My other roo is a bit of a bully and pulls out the hen's neck feathers. Not a tender lover like his daddy was. We'll have to wait to see how Marilyn measures up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: