Is this a Coronation Sussex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mama24, Nov 20, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I got 2 eggs labeled Light Sussex in a batch of rare hatching eggs from My Pet Chicken. 1 hatched and I got this guy. He has light feathering on his legs. Is that normal? I don't really know much about the breed. He's pretty and I'd like to find him a new home since I have no use for him. [​IMG] I looked up light sussex and they have black where he gray. He's beautiful, but I try to avoid white birds due to all of the hawks we have here. I assume he's a Coronation, but why were the eggs labeled light sussex?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Quote:Yep! Thats def a Coronation Sussex, Im a breeder of Sussex and keep a couple of that colour to [​IMG] My Pet Chicken proberely got the order wrong or something, Coronation Sussex are an English Breed and there quite hard to find in the UK, so your lucky to have one [​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks it to me

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Question: Are Coronation Sussex supposed to have feathers on their legs?

5. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Quote:Question: Are Coronation Sussex supposed to have feathers on their legs?

No Sussex arnt a ment to have feathers on their legs.

6. biopest

biopest New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    looking at your photo,looks more like a Delaware,Light sussex have black right around their hackles to their throat, The Delaware`s black looks more like a Cape of black.[​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    R U certain it's a roo?

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Sure looks like a coronation sussex to me. And if I was to guess, I'd also guess it was a pullet, not a roo, but I am soooooo not an expert, so none of my opinions should have any weight.

I can't find anything to say whether or not it should have feathers on the legs or not. So, that means it's probably not supposed to.

9. chuckeychickens

chuckeychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Chuckey, TN
    My Coop
    Another vote for Coronation Sussex. Here's my pic of our grown-ups, but we have little ones that look just like that one.

[​IMG]

10. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Quote:Definitely not a Delaware. Dellies were my first chickens, so I know what they look like. [​IMG] This chick has gray instead of black on his neck, and no barring. Delaware have black barred feathers on their necks and on rooster's tails. And he has white legs, Delawares have yellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by