1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a deal on Rabbits?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by obsessed, Jan 5, 2009.

1. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    So my local craigs list has an ad for rabbits. the lady say there are 9 2-3 month olds, one breeding pair, and three adolecent males. She wants to sell all for 150 but price is negotiable.

So what do you guys think?

They are mutt rabbits. and I REALLY don't need anymore breeding rabbits. But they are all of butchering age. that breaks down to 10 buck a bunny and if we bought them in a store a processed bunny would be anywhere from 8-10. Is it worth it? What would you offer for mutt bunnies?

She said she needs to sell them cause she just had too many and can't expand her operation. She says she also raises for meat and so should be ok with the whole eating thing. I asked why she doesn't do the deed and she says she just doesn't have time.
    I think we can do it in a weekend.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Sounds like a reasonable price if they are good sized and healthy

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Call me frugal but I have never paid more than $5 for a mutt.

4. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    As far as eating rabbits, I would offer her so much per lb. We have a lady that comes to our shows and gives .75 per lb. Pretty reasonable, and I've sold a lot of my older/non-showables to her. I'd offer her that, and see if you can negotiate.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    That's too much for mutt bunnies. Especially if you don't actually need them.

$.50-$.75 per pound is about average for eating bunnies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by