Is this a disease or just moulting? (photos)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by j1koo, Mar 8, 2015.

1. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    One of my cockerels started to loose his feathers and I don't know if he has a disease, a protein deficiency or is moulting. I didn't think it was moulting because I thought it went on too long for moulting and also he seems to stagger slightly when he walks.

But now the other chickens that are in with him look like they are starting to loose feathers too - I don't know if this is a coincidence as it is starting to warm up here now and maybe they are moulting, or whether they have now got something from him.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You may wish to consider dusting for mites/lice and repeat at 7 and 14 days (7 days for mites and 14 for lice). I use poultry dust from the feed store.

Make sure to toss bedding and nesting materials with treatment as you don't want to presserve a reservoir for the bugs to survive your treatment if your chickens have any (and treat the coop with permethrin spray or powder as well).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    Thanks for that. On the mite powder I have here, it says 3g per chicken - does it need to be that exact? If it was more, could it harm the chickens?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know about amounts- but be sure you get it under the wings and around the vent area (everywhere but the eyes). I put my poultry dust in an old sock and powder puff them, while I wear a mask/long sleeves and take a shower afterward. You use much less if you powder puff them instead of pouring the dust onto them.

1 person likes this.
  5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    :goodpost:

6. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    Thank you so much for that tip. I would've wasted so much as have about 30 birds to do. This is why I love this website - help is always here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by