Is this a disease?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Birdman 95361, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Birdman 95361

Birdman 95361 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Oakdale, California
    Brand new to the forum, I was in 4H 40 years ago so needless to say I can't remember too many things about chickens. Here are some photos of a Rooster I was given, he has crusty looking sores on his comb, should I be concerned? What can I do to heal this up? He has had this condition since May and it has gotten a little better. My next question is; what breed is this Rooster, he weighs about 8-9 lbs. Poop is firm, moist and has a white calcium top, looks like the feathers around the vent are thinned out and his skin is really red. In one of the photos you can see his chest, right around the crop area, it has the same condition. I'm wondering if mites could be a culprit? Feedback and suggestions as to how I can make my coop a better home for my Rooster and three hens are appreciated.

Regards,

Birdman 95361

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Birdman 95361

Aug 14, 2011
    Oakdale, California
    Maybe this is the wrong place to put this? Chicken diapers has 22 replies.... really?[​IMG] Maybe I'm in the wrong forum all together?

Are there any experts available to answer my questions?

Thank you,

3. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    I am afraid I cannot give you any answers, but I wanted to say that I have a rooster with the same symptoms. I see that the neck area is bare, my rooster started out like that, too, and he also has neck feathers that seem to be broken off, oh, and his skin is quite red in certain areas. I am really looking forward to any replies, because I cannot find any info in my books about the red skin. I have him separated from the hens, in case it is something he can pass on to the girls.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Looks to me like he has been in a couple of tussles and not necessarily with another rooster. The comb spots are just peck injury I believe. If you look at the back points of his comb are missing and kind of dark are result of injury. The neck part is probably dealing with another roo. Vasiline might help keep it pliable

My hens will peck the roo sometimes and he will just stand there and let them,not sure why but he does. Once in awhile he will have the same type of mark on him.They will peck the top back part of his comb as well.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's Sunday afternoon, give us a few minutes to see your post and reply. Sometimes it takes a little while for us to chime in. [​IMG]

It looks like a pecking injury. If it was fowl pox, it would have a black, blistered appearance and would be more than one spot.

6. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    That is a beautiful rooster! You were blessed!

7. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    He's a very handsome fellow.

8. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I haven't had experience with sick or injured chickens and hope the replies thus far are correct and he will get better. Might it be good to separate him until he heals so no one pecks his wounds? He is a nice looking rooster and will be beautiful when his feathers grow back.

9. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Those are scabbed over injuries. They'll heal.

10. Birdman 95361

Aug 14, 2011
    Oakdale, California
    Thank you for the replies:D, the hens do peck at him so this makes perfect sense. The hens peck his back side now and again too, he always lets a growl. I'm going to break out some Neosporin and dab a bit on the wound area. The hens seem to be Ok, other then some secondary flight feathers being torn up from the Rooster mounting them...(continually). They are all laying eggs too. Two hens have very light colored combs and waddles, the other hens comb and waddles are a nice deep red, not sure what's going on with my hens???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by