Is this a dog or a coyote?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sjisty, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We have had something prowling around at night. We set up the camera and out of 59 shots, this is what we got. Is this a dog or a coyote?

[​IMG]

2. hooadefender

hooadefender Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    ely, vt
    that sure looks likes a coyote to me little redder than wheat we have up here. we do also have coydogs up here which are a hybrid feril dog coyote could be that hard telling for sure

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Coyote for sure!

4. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    That is a coydog or a coyote for sure. Definitely not a pure dog.

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    That sure looks like a coyote. I feel I should also play devil's advocate though; even as a person that has worked with my state's fish and game, and has had a lot of dog experience, I have seen mixed-breed dogs that look very, very coyote-ish indeed.

Coyotes also look different depending on where you live. Coyotes in the Northeastern US, for example, look quite a bit different from their western counterparts.

6. WLLady

WLLady Out Of The Brooder

100% a coyote. nice one too.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Coyote and it looks like there may be one in the background, see the eyes glowing upper left above the coyote in the photo.

8. shannonruedger

shannonruedger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Constantine Mi
    definitley a coyote looking for a quick meal.

9. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    Yep agreed, for sure a coyote. Is it messing with your chickens? (or other stuff?)

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Yes, we did something very dumb, dumb, dumb. One of our chickens laid quite a few eggs in those ferns. She went broody and WE LET HER stay there. She was a helpless quick meal for him/her. In the 5 or so years we've been here, I have never imagined we had coyotes around! Poor Penny, I'm so sorry. We have several secure coops and always lock up our chickens at night, except for Penny.

I set up the camera right above where Penny had her nest. I figured whatever got her would come back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by