Is this a Dominique?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by revolutionarygardens, Aug 14, 2011.

1. revolutionarygardens

revolutionarygardens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Newbie here! I bought four Barred Rock chicks this spring, but I think two of them may be Dominiques. I'm posting a picture of the two ladies in question along with a closeup of the comb of the one who is the most developed. My other two ladies both have the single comb that I've read is indicative of the Barred Rock. What do you those of you in the know think? Are they Dominiques as I suspect? Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    i say its a dom, but i have not had one myself

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, it's a Dom.

4. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    YUP. Doms have a rose comb.

5. revolutionarygardens

Jun 26, 2011
    Thanks for your replies, this is good to know! I guess you learn something new everyday!

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    How old are these chickens? That is an awfully red comb and the wattles are really big on the first one in comparison the the other chicken in pic 2.

7. revolutionarygardens

Jun 26, 2011
    Well, supposedly they are both 23 weeks old. I have had all four pullets for 21 weeks, and when I bought them I was told that they were 2 weeks old (of course, I was also told that they were all Barred Rocks). They all looked the same when they were chicks, but they have all matured at different rates. I posted pics here of one of the Barred Rocks on a different thread and several people told me that she looks older than I think she is. The one in this picture with the small pink comb has really lagged behind the other three. In fact, we call her 'Slow Poke' because the other three are so far ahead of her. I don't know if they all really weren't the same age when I got them or if they are just each maturing at slightly different rates.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    top pic looks like mine that i have been trying to figure out...the top is a rooster...also everyone thus far has told me mine were doms you can go look at my pics [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    To be honest I would say that they were a Dominique Cross.
    There body looks off for a Dominique.

Chris

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by