Is this a duck egg?

jwoo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
United States
So we have ducks and chickens in our pen. To date we have had no eggs from either
he.gif
. One duck is over six months, the other 4 months and the chickens about 5.5 months. However today my wife goes out to the pen to make sure that everyone is ok (it's been cold her recently, in the 30's) and see's an egg on the ground under the ramp into the chicken coop. Now I'm out of town so I've not seen the egg myself yet in person and only have a picture to go by. It looks about the size of a store bought chicken egg - however from what I have gathered pullet eggs should be about half the size of a store bought egg or at lease smaller when first being laid and get bigger over time. So going by that thinking I'd assume that ducks eggs are also smaller at the start?

Anyway here is the picture:
ba2e5.jpg

So duck egg? Or are my chickens not using the their laying boxes?

I think duck egg.

duck eggs feel like porcelen (sp)
they feel nothing like chicken eggs.. they also have a "film" over them that is kinda hard to clean..
it looks like a ducks egg but hard to tell just by looks
tongue.png

100% duck

but yes as mentioned, when in doubt, feel it, duck eggs are very heavily coated when they are laid ( this prevents the hen hen from ruining the eggs as she returns to the nest) But yes, they will feel waxy, and are usually not very pointed on the small end, more over all oval shaped.

Definate duck there though based on shape and color alone

my duck started laying at 6 mos but.... i have 3 more girls that are the same age and no eggs from them yet. They look the same as yours

Well based on the feedback it looks like it's a duck egg and probably the older duck as well. Hooray!

And here I was thinking because it was getting so cold that we'd have no duck eggs at all till spring.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom