1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a ee

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silly4buttons, Feb 7, 2014.

1. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    Hi I went to agway this today and bought this chick it was in with the ameraucanas I know that they are really EE :fl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please tell me it's a Orpington it will make my year :fl:fl

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Well it's not an EE or an Ameraucana (we both know that)...no green legs or muff/beard for an EE (though they can come without those if the Ameraucana blood is far enough back)...and no slate legs/beard/muff for an Ameraucana....but I can't say if it is a Buff Orpington or not. A lot of breeds have yellow chicks.

It might be....but the color looks a bit pale to me for a Buff...more like it will be a white bird....not sure of what kind...can't tell if those are true yellow or beige legs. Buffs have yellow legs, and generally have more gold yellow down as chicks as compared to a white rock or white leghorn.

I find this chick photo chart generally true to appearances and useful when I've got a mystery chick:
    http://esteshatchery.com/gallery.html

Post photos in a few weeks and we can help determine what you've got.

Good luck with your new chick.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: After contemplating a bit more, while it does not have any smokey coloring on it, some White Rocks chicks can be pretty light colored, and they do have the darker beige leg at first...so you might have a White Rock.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Can you get a better shot of the leg color and of the comb/face?

4. silly4buttons

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    More pics[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Peacombed with a shallow beard I would say you got a white ee

6. Flat Rock farm

Flat Rock farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Branchton, ON Canada
    Well it might be an EE is seems to have greenish/slate legs and I think I see small cheek muffs??? [​IMG]

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Second set of photos...definitely NOT a Buff Orp...and those legs are definitely greenish in those photos....and those photos show slight beard/muff....I think an EE.

Lady of McCamley

8. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I agree, a light colored EE. Hard to say if she/he will feather out pure white.

9. silly4buttons

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    Thank you I love ee I already have 2 she is going to be very pretty when she gets older and lady McCamley thank you for that link it will help me in the future

10. silly4buttons

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    Here is the other ee I got I don't think it going that great the faces are a little dirty from egg lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by