Is this a fair price for a Black Copper Maran ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sierra pachie bars, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    50.00 ? I have never ever spent that much on a chick so unsure if that is good or not ?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    just depends if you want to pay it. If you are good at incubating or have a broody hen, you may do better with eggs. I got eggs from her a year ago and did GREAT! My second generation is already laying pretty good now. I am right by you too. I had some chicks hatch on Easter day but I am too layzy to post pics, lol. They look like everyone else's CBM chicks. I think I have six of them. If you like Copper Black Marans and want dark eggs, i recommend this line.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I am mostly interested in growing out some kick butt roosters. PM sent.

4. juliachick

juliachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    (Northeastern PA)
    Wow, are black copper marans really rare? I had a lady near me selling the barred black and white marans (forget the name at the moment) for $5 a chick. We bought the barnveldersfrom her for $5 a chick too and she was super sweet and gave us a freeby. They are adorable, sweet, and lay the dark eggs also! Sorry that all has nothing to do w/if that specific breed is normally $50 a chick.

5. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds like you got Cuckoo Marans. Lovely birds -- hope you enjoy them! [​IMG]

6. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Thanks, I will get back with you tomorrow I wouldnt mind a chick. I bought two but they turned out to be Boys which I can't have here. I'll pm you in the morning since my medication now as my head foggy lol. Since your close I would love to come say hello. [​IMG]

7. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    $50 dollars for a chick is outrages unless it comes from a really dark egging flock (ask to see the eggs). Marans are a dime a dozen unless they come from quality flocks that lay the really dark chocolate eggs. The black coppers are a bit rare but there are always eggs online that are decently priced. You can buy nice dark eggs online for $50 dollars a dozen and much less and hatch yourself a whole flock. $50 dollars is not bad for an adult hen if it lays decent colored eggs, even more common breeds can fetch $20 dollars a hen here. I have penedesencas that are a lot rarer and lay decent colored eggs and I would never charge $50 dollars a chick, especially if it could be a rooster.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    They are from dark laying lines. She has good birds. drom bought some chicks from hers and her eggs won a prize at the Fresno show I think... I got eggs from her and this is what my second generation pullets are laying right now...
    [​IMG]
    Hers are the real deal. The price is high, but compared to feeding a whole flock of lesser layers and the work of "breeding up" without investing in some expensive stock to breed up with, what seems expensive is actually a bargain if you sharpen your pencil and put it to the paper and do the math, but only if you MUST have dark eggs and beautiful, gentle, healthy hens.

Edit to add... I don't think I would take $200 for one of my hens... even if you waved it under my nose... honestly, I don't think I would. They are exactly what i want and I have worked too hard to get them to the point they are.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  9. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    No that price is ridiculous for a chick. I know they are rare but not that rare. I would say to the breeder, "Well I know they lay dark brown eggs but how often should I expect a gold one?"

10. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I still think $50 for an unsexed chick is steep but those are some nice eggs and it seems as though this chick is from a good line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by