Is this a fair price?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by NYRIR, Jun 3, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I want to sell some of my 6 week old poults.They are hatchery Bourbon Reds.I bought them for like 7.00 a piece. Do you think 15.00 a piece is fair? They are very healthy so far [​IMG] Thanks

2. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    That sounds about right for my area. Feed store sells them for that price even younger.

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Yeah...around here I have never seen poults at a feed store...You have to order from a hatchery or find a local breeder. I couldn't find a local breeder so I ordered online and had to get the minimum of 15. I ended up ordering 18 to get 8 Narr,4 BS, and 6 BR but they sent an extra BR so hence I have 19 right now. I am going to be focusing on the Narrs, so I want to sell the BR's for now and maybe the BS later.
    We have put a lot of time,money and energy into getting these turkeys started, so obviously I wouldn't be making anything off them but wanted to be sure I wasn't charging too much.
    It doesn't seem fair in a way though, as we have done SO much for them.Gives me a newfound respect for farmers and their prices...they don't get what they deserve!
    I figure if they don't sell within a couple of weeks I'll bump it to 20.00. Think that's reasonable?

4. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    A 2 month old bird for $20? I'd scoop it up down here if I were still in the market!

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Ok, Thanks guys....I just want to be sure no one can complain. I did say I was firm in my posting so I don't have people trying to "talk me down"....I know they are worth that much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by