Is this a Favorelle rooster?

amydrn493

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
Pound, WI

I got him as a free fancy chick when I ordered my others and I think he is a Favorelle, but not sure. He has beautiful colors in the sun. Even purple and green.

I can believe he is a hatchery quality Favorelles. (How many toes does he have? Photo doesn't show).

A Favorelles should have 5 separate toes, white skin, and feathering on the outside of the leg and down the outside toe. The rooster should have 5 nice points on a single comb.

His comb looks wrong and his feathering may be a bit light on the leg, but Favorelles fits him fairly closely especially if he has the 5 toes as he has a nice beard/muff and is the Salmon color for male.

LofMc

I can believe he is a hatchery quality Favorelles. (How many toes does he have? Photo doesn't show).

A Favorelles should have 5 separate toes, white skin, and feathering on the outside of the leg and down the outside toe. The rooster should have 5 nice points on a single comb.

His comb looks wrong and his feathering may be a bit light on the leg, but Favorelles fits him fairly closely especially if he has the 5 toes as he has a nice beard/muff and is the Salmon color for male.

LofMc
When you see a rounded comb like that, it means the bird's comb points fell off. Very common in colder places, where roosters can get frostbite.

Not all faverolles hatch with five toes, even from the best bloodlines. So, it wouldn't surprise me if this bird doesn't have five toes.

When you see a rounded comb like that, it means the bird's comb points fell off. Very common in colder places, where roosters can get frostbite.

Not all faverolles hatch with five toes, even from the best bloodlines. So, it wouldn't surprise me if this bird doesn't have five toes.

Yes,thank you, I did think about frost bite after typing that but got busy and didn't go back in to change my comment.
LofMc

A Favorelles should have 5 separate toes, white skin,  and feathering on the outside of the leg and down the outside toe. The rooster should have 5 nice points on a single comb.

LofMc

He does have 5 toes. I thought this was odd, but I guess it's normal. We do live in a cold climate in Wisconsin, so if the tips of the comb can fall off from frostbite, I can understand that. The coop is warm and cozy, but they come out by choice. He normally has nice white fluffy boots. Recently, his legs started looking kind of scabby, even raw in places, and his leg feathers fell out. I am trying to figure out why. He is a really neat rooster and we love to watch him. His name is not very original, but it suits him so well-Fancy. If anyone has any ideas about his poor legs, please let me know. I loved his fluffy boots.

Back
Top Bottom