Is this a Favorelle rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amydrn493, Jun 28, 2016.

1. amydrn493

amydrn493 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2015
    Pound, WI
    [​IMG]
    I got him as a free fancy chick when I ordered my others and I think he is a Favorelle, but not sure. He has beautiful colors in the sun. Even purple and green.

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

He's definitely a stunning Faverolles!

~Alex

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I can believe he is a hatchery quality Favorelles. (How many toes does he have? Photo doesn't show).

A Favorelles should have 5 separate toes, white skin, and feathering on the outside of the leg and down the outside toe. The rooster should have 5 nice points on a single comb.

His comb looks wrong and his feathering may be a bit light on the leg, but Favorelles fits him fairly closely especially if he has the 5 toes as he has a nice beard/muff and is the Salmon color for male.

LofMc

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    When you see a rounded comb like that, it means the bird's comb points fell off. Very common in colder places, where roosters can get frostbite.

Not all faverolles hatch with five toes, even from the best bloodlines. So, it wouldn't surprise me if this bird doesn't have five toes.

5. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Pretty boy
    -Liv

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    looks like it to me

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes,thank you, I did think about frost bite after typing that but got busy and didn't go back in to change my comment.
    LofMc

8. amydrn493

amydrn493 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2015
    Pound, WI
    He does have 5 toes. I thought this was odd, but I guess it's normal. We do live in a cold climate in Wisconsin, so if the tips of the comb can fall off from frostbite, I can understand that. The coop is warm and cozy, but they come out by choice. He normally has nice white fluffy boots. Recently, his legs started looking kind of scabby, even raw in places, and his leg feathers fell out. I am trying to figure out why. He is a really neat rooster and we love to watch him. His name is not very original, but it suits him so well-Fancy. If anyone has any ideas about his poor legs, please let me know. I loved his fluffy boots.

9. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    Could it be scaley leg mites? There are lots of threads here with more info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by