is this a female barred rock ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LindenLady, Nov 11, 2016.

1. LindenLady

LindenLady Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    Illinois
    I received this chicken from a friend who hatched it from a big group of duck eggs. Oops. LOL. Well, she only raises ducks so she gave the little chick to me. I'm guessing it's a hen but I'm not 100% sure on breed. I have a Barred Rock already but I remember my girl having way more white on her by this age and this chick is mostly gray. (but I know there is variety among feathers in the same breed) Plus, this little chick seems to have a comb that I don't recall seeing before in the rest of my current flock. It kind of resembles 2 single combs, squashed side by side, like a double fat comb or something.
    So, is it a BR or something else?? Thanks :)

Here's a baby pic of the chick in question and then here's a pic where she's approx 5 or 6 weeks old currently....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LindenLady

May 3, 2015
    Illinois
    Oh and I forgot to mention her leg color. My BR has a lighter leg color (yellowish) and this chick seems to have dark gray legs...

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Definitely not a BR, also I believe it is a cockerel. Probably a mixed breed, the comb looks like a rosecomb but I'm not sure if that is what it is.

4. LindenLady

May 3, 2015
    Illinois
    Uh oh, I already have a Banty Roo and he's enough to deal with. lol. What signs help you identify this as a Roo?

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How old?

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The comb and wattles, most pullets don't get comb/wattles that big or red at 5-6 weeks. Also its tail is questionable, not positive on the gender but pretty sure.

7. LindenLady

May 3, 2015
    Illinois
    Not 100% sure. That "baby pic" was emailed to me on October 11 from the girl who hatched it. So, I know the chick is at least 31 days based on that, but that's all I have to go on.
    How old would you think that chick looks in the pic? I know he/she looks very small. I'm terrible and very inexperienced with chick ages. The rest of my flock have all come from our feed/tractor supply store, Rural King, so I've never known exact ages of my girls. How old are they generally when stores accept shipments of chicks??

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That looks like a Barred Rock/Bantam cross?

Cheers!

9. Bruster Rooster

Bruster Rooster Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    Northwest Florida
    Looks somewhat like a Dominque to me. I have 2 of them & they have rose combs & dark legs. When only a few days old, they & all my female chicks had a little tuff of tail feathers starting. (See photo). I had 3 roosters in the bunch & their butts were round as a ball. It took them much later to start developing tail feathers. Your photo is turned the wrong way to tell, but maybe you remember[​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think mixed breed cockerel.

The rose comb says it's not a Rock.

Dominiques are a barred breed that have a rose comb, so that's likely in the mix. But, the barring on this bird shows mixed breeding. It's soft and muddy, not the crisp alternating bars of color on a pure bred bird. The coloring, along with the amount of comb and redness for the age, make me think cockerel. I'd love to be wrong and you get a nice pullet.....maybe post again in a month or so?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by