Is this a female or male easter egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HensAmongCedars, Apr 8, 2016.

1. HensAmongCedars

HensAmongCedars Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    South Seattle
    I read the thread about sexing easter eggers and now I am concerned I have a roo, not a pullet. "Cordelia" is about three weeks old. https://flic.kr/p/FbcLoQ[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Is it too early to know? Thanks for any help!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It's far too young to tell with any accuracy. If you can post updated photos in 7-11 weeks, we'll be able to help you a lot more.

3. HensAmongCedars

Mar 13, 2016
    South Seattle
    Thank you. I'll do that. I'm just a bit nervous because I live in an area where roosters are banned.

4. DerbyGirlGoneChicken

DerbyGirlGoneChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow...very nice pictures. You have a beautiful bird. I can't weigh in as I don't have a lot of experience. I am a first timer and have an easter egger that I think is a male. My only one. Very disappointed. Mine has a much longer tail. Yours looks more female than mine. But again, I don't have much experience. Best of luck!

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Can we get a picture of the comb?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Right now, it looks like a pullet, but keep an eye out for deep, dark red coming in on the shoulders/wings.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ah the curse of the deep red over the wings [​IMG]

8. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    I was thinking pullet also. But that's just a wild guess very young still to tell for sure. How's the comb look and dark pink it red.

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I started calling them "the red patches of death" after I heard someone on here use that phrase.... I think I've only seen one bird who grew them and didn't turn into the cockerel... and she is to date the prettiest EE I've ever seen.

10. HensAmongCedars

Mar 13, 2016
    South Seattle
    Cordelia has a very light pink comb that is tiny. I'll get my husband to take a picture later- he's a photographer, so his pictures come out better than mine. Right now, he is hard at work on the coop, so I'm loathe to interrupt that process- the girls are getting too big for the brooder!

Thanks everyone! I'll look out for the wing spots. I have no clue what I'll do if she is a roo. I'm really not allowed one, but I do live at the end of a dirt road with one neighbor....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by