Is this a female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cdmadaio, Dec 12, 2017.

1. cdmadaio

cdmadaio Chirping

Dec 10, 2017
    this is my 1.5 month old silkie chick luna. Does anyone know if she is a female?

9D230F35-4EED-43A7-BF43-DABCA058C673.JPG 998D01ED-ED3D-4AEE-A82E-6CB872073036.JPG 570E5A96-328C-4CF3-99B4-202E4C3B85F2.JPG

2 weeks ago
    IMG_0645.JPG

When Luna was very little
    IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0647.JPG 50FAF799-1EE6-42A5-8499-B6713C7772F1.JPG

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Silkies are difficult to sex early. Could you get a clear picture of it’s comb? Pull it’s crest back it expose as much comb as possible.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I disagree about Silkies being as hard to sex as most people think they are.

6 weeks is still a little young if I haven't watched them grow up and seen their behavior. Do you have any other chicks with Luna?

But if I currently had to guess, I'm thinking male. Because that's where I usually see the swept back hair crest.

Another 2-4 weeks and it should be VERY obvious. At that time post a pic of the comb with crest held back (as suggested by the other poster) and a side standing shot.

Still zero waddles on a non bearded chick gives hope for female. :fl

4. cdmadaio

cdmadaio Chirping

Dec 10, 2017

Yes she is with other chicks. There are already 3 roosters in her flock and we will have to get rid of them sometime. She doesn't really have and comb development. We had a silkie before that turned out to be a rooster but looked much different than Luna and grew much slower. I really want Luna to be hen. Crossing fingers and hoping. I filled in her crest from the directions it was growing in and it looked very round but I'm not sure.

This is our rooster at 4 months
    image.jpg

5. cdmadaio

cdmadaio Chirping

Dec 10, 2017
    Here is what I got from filling it in

IMG_0652.PNG IMG_0653.PNG

6. EggSighted4Life

:lau That's a good one!

Big difference between 6 weeks and 16 weeks.

Ugh, I had one Silkie male who started trying to mate at 8 weeks old!

Growing slower was probably a random thing for that boy. Mine are usually larger faster. But of course there is always variables since they are completely individuals even if from the same parent stock. Though I often find comb and waddle development to be a good comparison between sibling with the exception of late blooming boys. I have not yet mistaken a boy for a girl when young on my own flock. But I have given away a "boy" that turned out to be a girl. Very confident and pecky.. so I have had late blooming females in the Silkies or mistaken a girl thinking it was male according to behavior despite the lack of comb just figured it was a late blooming boy.

In other words, it is often easy to pin point the males and sometimes harder to pin point the females. Interaction among your flock can be a good indicator. Although females will participate in some chest bumping, it isn't USUALLY as often as the boys.

Anyways, I know I wasn't much help but at least go to share a little. My fingers are crossed for you and your chick as well! Cute pics. :love

7. cdmadaio

cdmadaio Chirping

Dec 10, 2017
    Thanks. I really hope she's a hen.

8. cdmadaio

cdmadaio Chirping

Dec 10, 2017
    Also, does anyone know the gender of this chick

image.jpg image.jpg
    It's a mut

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Much too young to sex silkies, and "filling in" the crest doesn't mean it will grow that way. Wishful thinking.

10. EggSighted4Life

With a big red comb like that, cockerel. Unless it's much older than I think.

I agree with Diva that the filling in the crest was fun but no real indicator of what will or won't grow. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: