Is this a fertile egg or not? HELP? *PIC*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrankieMcElfresh, Oct 27, 2011.

1. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    sooo is this fertile? idk what this is, its at the bottom of the egg, any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Best way is to incubate it for 5-7 days then candle and look for veins.

4. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    if that was in an incubator for more than 3-5 days, it's probably infertile, or you'd see veining by now. the circular spot that you're looking at in the photo is the air cell, it is not indicative of whether or not the egg is fertile. if you just pulled it straight outta the coop, you'll need to either crack it to check for fertility, or set it in an incubator for a while and check for veining. [​IMG]

5. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    If that is the flatter end of the egg, then it is probably the air cell you are seeing.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    has it been incubated at all? if not that looks simlar to all my eggs before incubating and that spot is the air cell. i had to wait till day 7 to tell for sure if i hadnt i would have thrown out good eggs. i still havent thrown any out yet i'm waiting till day 18 unless someone starts to smell

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The only way to tell if an egg is fertile is to break it open then eat it. Do you have any extra eggs you can break open to check for fertility? That is the only way to tell. If you have a Roo then the chances the eggs are fertile. I do crack one of mine open now and then to check then I have an egg for breakfast. You can always put some eggs in your incubator and around day 10 candle the eggs and you should be able to see the embryo moving if the egg is fertile.

Infertile egg.
    [​IMG]

Fertile egg.
    [​IMG]

8. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    Quote:That to me is a very fertile egg!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by