Is this a Flatworm/Round Worm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pheonix, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Pheonix

Pheonix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    One of my chickens has been having major loose stools for a week and I have been fixing things to see if it's stuff they are eating. I looked today and there was a ton of stool over night but it normal finally. Then looking around the yard I found this.

[​IMG]

it is about 7 inches long and thought at first it was a worm they could eat, but then I saw the stripes and the head and wondered what it was. It leaves a lot of slime, like a snail. Here is a close up of the head and underside.

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's a slug. Edited...pour table salt on it and watch what happens!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    yup its a leech/slug they comeout to cool off on the dew and stuff cause they like being in water.

5. Pheonix

Pheonix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    huh... We do have tons of slugs, but they are usually short and fat and are just football shaped. I've never seen a head like this. And I'm in the middle of a city so I don't know where a leech would come from. Maybe it's a strange slug...

Thanks all.

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Its a Land Planarian--Bipalium kewense or hammerhead flatworm. They are cannabalistic and eat primarily earthworms. I would kill any and all I saw. You can't chop them up because the pieces will become worms themselves. Dump salt or vinegar on them to desolve them. They are not native to the U.S. and are usually found in warmer climates. Although they can be found in other cooler areas. They came to the U.S. as hitchhikers, probably in soil.

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Yep. That is a ribbon worm round these parts. Try slinging one off of you. They get like a foot l-o-n-g, and then snap back again.
    I can handle a lot of things, but that always gives me the willies.

however, if you have the nerve, time, inclination, check out your kids biology book . you can slice the head in half and it should regenerate the other half. so you get a two headed planarian. I can't do that. even to something that gives me the willies.

8. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    ewwwwwwwwww its looks like a leech I HATE LEECHES yuk [​IMG]

9. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    So this worm basically has nothing to do with the chickens? Didn't come out of one?

D

10. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Quote:It is a little big for an intestinal parasite normally they are allot thinner, although I have seen them that long before (but not in a chicken)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by