1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a fox? Game Cam photo.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CedarAcres, Nov 15, 2013.

1. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Hey guys! I caught this photo on my game cam and I was wondering if it was a fox. We've never caught one on our game cam before so I don't have anything to compare it to. I did compare it to photos we have of deer, possums, raccoons, dogs & cats in the same spot, and it really looks to me that size wise it's a fox. What do you think? You'll have to click on it to see it properly.. it's on the other side of our fence.

[​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] I use trail cams all the time and i can't tell what it is. move the cam a bit closer to the fence and see what you get next time, fence lines make for great game trails.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's impossible to be sure what it is from that picture.

4. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to move it. We originally had it in this spot because we were having some trespassers come through the yard right there.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you want to leave the camera there, just put some scented bait on a cotton ball close to it to draw him to the camera.

Sardine oil or bacon grease usually works, or some cheap canned fish flavored cat food

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Thanks! I've never heard of that before! I will definitely try to put something out. We haven't had any issues with trespassers for awhile, so I think we can move it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by