Is this a frizzle X chick?

jjackson-7

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 17, 2013
Horsefly, BC, Canada
I recently purchased some day old “purebred” gold laced polish chicks. Or so I thought. They were clearly not all day old-which didn’t bother me, but now I’m worried that a couple of the chicks are showing frizzle characteristic. Is this potentially just how they are feathering out? I’ve raised hundreds of meat chicks and haven’t seen this before. I don’t know much about frizzles so some input would be appreciated.

Here are pictures of the chick showing the most “frizzle” looking characteristics to me. Some of the little guys that are just getting their feathers are maybe looking similar. I also took a couple pictures of another chick that looks more normal to me.

Thanks

Attachments

• BD75A595-139C-42DB-848F-4AB7D21DCB88.jpeg
    BD75A595-139C-42DB-848F-4AB7D21DCB88.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 29
  • A5AC63FF-6CD8-4A7A-B53E-47BC7AAF2EF6.jpeg
    A5AC63FF-6CD8-4A7A-B53E-47BC7AAF2EF6.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 6816FD17-869A-4A82-A23F-B42B44BBB5B0.jpeg
    6816FD17-869A-4A82-A23F-B42B44BBB5B0.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 76AC7A4B-1568-42DA-BF2F-D220DEBEC708.jpeg
    76AC7A4B-1568-42DA-BF2F-D220DEBEC708.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 10
  • A1D102B5-A24D-420F-AF5F-D695ACE722A6.jpeg
    A1D102B5-A24D-420F-AF5F-D695ACE722A6.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 43915712-3AA3-4815-B44B-AC677E75473E.jpeg
    43915712-3AA3-4815-B44B-AC677E75473E.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 11
Yeah the first three are the same chick just wanted good pictures. The last theee are all the same chick (different from the first though). But the consensus is that it is frizzled……so these are not purebred polish?

Show quality, no. But if they have every single other trait as polish and don't have traits that don't belong to polish (besides the frizzling), then a lot of people will consider them purebred. Frizzled polish aren't really new anymore

I think I’m going chicken crazy. I was dreaming about polish frizzled Roos last night. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤪. The chicken addiction is taking over slowly.

I have been reading a lot about frizzles since the discovery and learning as much as I can now that I’m going to have some. lol. How common is the frizzle gene modifier? I read sort of varying opinions on this. Is it unethical to assume that the smooth chicks out of these polish chicks are “frizzle free” and sell their eggs/offspring as plain polish? I paid a decent price for these chicks and travelled a ways to get them, so I would really like to avoid just giving up on using them for breeding. (And of course that is already dependant on their “breedability” once mature).

I’m also learning slowly that I need to be a bit more cautious and ask more questions when buying chickens. Either from just uninformed sellers or shady sellers-things never seem to be what they seem. I thought I’d vetted them well but live and learn.

On the bright side - it is teaching me all the things that I don’t want to do in trying my hand at raising a few breeds to sell. I don’t want someone feeling like they aren’t getting what they thought they were purchasing.

I think I’m going chicken crazy. I was dreaming about polish frizzled Roos last night. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤪. The chicken addiction is taking over slowly.

I have been reading a lot about frizzles since the discovery and learning as much as I can now that I’m going to have some. lol. How common is the frizzle gene modifier? I read sort of varying opinions on this. Is it unethical to assume that the smooth chicks out of these polish chicks are “frizzle free” and sell their eggs/offspring as plain polish? I paid a decent price for these chicks and travelled a ways to get them, so I would really like to avoid just giving up on using them for breeding. (And of course that is already dependant on their “breedability” once mature).

I’m also learning slowly that I need to be a bit more cautious and ask more questions when buying chickens. Either from just uninformed sellers or shady sellers-things never seem to be what they seem. I thought I’d vetted them well but live and learn.

On the bright side - it is teaching me all the things that I don’t want to do in trying my hand at raising a few breeds to sell. I don’t want someone feeling like they aren’t getting what they thought they were purchasing.
Sell as 50% frizzles, because that is what their chicks will be.

So sorry, maybe I’m getting confused here. So IF these chicks are smooth feathered, and bred to only other smooth feathered- they can still produce 50% frizzled chicks? Or is that only possible with the gene mutation that hides the frizzle?

So sorry, maybe I’m getting confused here. So IF these chicks are smooth feathered, and bred to only other smooth feathered- they can still produce 50% frizzled chicks? Or is that only possible with the gene mutation that hides the frizzle?
Nothing hides the frizzle gene. If they have it, it shows.

To get a frizzled bird, one parent has to also be frizzled.

Back
Top Bottom