Is this a full blood Delaware roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by matt28, Feb 16, 2015.

1. matt28

matt28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Okemah Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I"m not a Delaware expert, but I don't think so. Delawares should exhibit barring in the colombian markings, and this bird doesn't. He also appears to have some gold leakage, and I can't tell if his legs are white/pink or yellow---Dellies should be yellow.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

"Full Blood" in the poultry world is a bit different than in the dog or horse world. It isn't his pedigree that is important. What is important is whether he visually meets the Standard for the breed. He does not.

All depends on what you're intentions are with your birds as to whether that has any importance to you.

4. matt28

Apr 29, 2014
    Okemah Oklahoma
    Well I was wanting to buy some Delaware chicks and raise some and sell but was not sure if he was Delaware or not

5. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    In ignorance or deceit many folks will sell birds like that and call them Delawares.

6. matt28

Apr 29, 2014
    Okemah Oklahoma
    I was wanting a as to pure as possible so I could have some true delawares and to crosses with some rir hens to get some good egg layers to I have a rir roo I thought of crooning the Delaware whith rir or with my buff hens or the rir roo on the buff and bard rock hens

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

And buyers who know no different purchase them. Since few folks know or understand breed standards neither buyers nor sellers (even those with fancy catalogs and websites and may mass produce chicks) distinguish very carefully and as long as everyone is happy, frankly few people care.

Without a measuring stick there's no way to say with accuracy what an acre is or what a two acre parcel is. As long as it is somewhere in there, that's close enough and the best you can do without an agreed upon measuring standard.

9. matt28

Apr 29, 2014
    Okemah Oklahoma
    We'll I may keep him or I may keep the coo coo maran roo I have or he maybe barred rock I don't know when I bought him I was told he was coo coo maran

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    No not a Delaware. Perhaps a Columbian Rock/ Delaware cross. Could be a C. Rock.

I suggest googling Delaware and have a look.

I kept pictures of Delawares taped to the wall til just recently. Delaware are not a popular breed because they are hard to improve. I've had and worked with them from the beginning.

Even the best parents can throw some not so good kids, simply for the fact that you can't know what's in the back ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by