is this a good coop design

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kikithebird, Aug 2, 2014.

1. kikithebird

kikithebird Songster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] it is called the poulet chalet and found it in a chicken coop design book can it hold 5 pekin/cochin bantams in it and i will add a run thats 4 by 2 feet just incase you ask

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    The steep ramp may be a problem for your ducks, as they usually prefer staying on the ground for the most part, but it looks sturdy and easy to clean.

3. kikithebird

kikithebird Songster

in australia cochin bantams are called pekin bantams so i was talking about chickens not ducks

4. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    Oh! Sorry! Then it should be fine. :)

5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Seems very tiny to me for 5 chickens, general rule of thumb is that 5 chickens should have st least 20 feet of coop space and 40 feet of run space. Personally I think 40 feet is a bit small.

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Agreed...that coop design is waaay too small for 5 chickens, no matter their 'size'. [​IMG]

7. kikithebird

kikithebird Songster

i dont like that design any more dosent look nice enough

8. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Have you visited the Coop/Run Design, Construction, Maintenance board here at BYC yet? There is a TON (and I mean a ton!) of pictures, things people did to build their coops, etc. Here's the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Put on a BIG pot of coffee because you can spend literally hours in there!! [​IMG] Keep us updated and best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by