• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peyton3498

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 25, 2017
So, I am going to get chickens in spring. I will have 2 LF hens and 1 bantam hen ( hopefully, I don't want a rooster.) Is this coop good? I am a newbie to the chicken world and I don't know what to look for to find a quality chicken coop. Please give me your completely honest opinion. Btw, they will not be free range, but I will add an extension run, I just don't want the coop to be a waste of money. If you think it will be please tell me why and recommendations would be nice also. Thank you for your time and I am so exited to join this community!

http://summerhawkranch.com/products/vintage-red-barn-chicken-coop?variant=1192001149

To put it bluntly, no prefab coops like that one are good. They're tiny, they're made out of bad material, they don't hold up to the elements at all, and, even though it's a chicken coop, often they seem as if they were designed with no knowledge of chickens whatsoever.

You're much better off building a coop than buying any type of coop like that.

To put it bluntly, no prefab coops like that one are good. They're tiny, they're made out of bad material, they don't hold up to the elements at all, and, even though it's a chicken coop, often they seem as if they were designed with no knowledge of chickens whatsoever.

You're much better off building a coop than buying any type of coop like that.

Thanks for letting me know.I kind of thought of building one but it seems like it would cost a lot of money.

Have you checked out the many types, sizes, styles in the coops section? Many people repurpose other materials. Some use a large appliance(wooden) crate and go from there.
Shipping pallets are often thrown out behind stores, you can ask if it's okay to take them. Pull out the nails and you've got some wood.
If you have a re-hab store you could find a window or two that might fit in. Chickens love to look out windows and they would get some light as well. On Craig's list they often have coops - sometimes with chickens for reasonable prices. They had them, they tried them, and apparently didn't like them. Some even throw in a started bag of feed. Also CL is a good source for dog run panels, which can be used as a basis , with smaller mesh wire on the inside to keep preds from grabbing any birds or parts of birds through the wire.

Have you checked out the many types, sizes, styles in the coops section?   Many people repurpose other materials.  Some use a large appliance(wooden) crate and go from there.
Shipping pallets are often thrown out behind stores,  you can ask if it's okay to take them.  Pull out the nails and you've got some wood.
If you have a re-hab store  you could find a window or two  that might fit in.  Chickens love to look out windows and they would get some light as well.    On Craig's list they often have    coops - sometimes with chickens for reasonable prices.  They had them, they tried them, and apparently didn't like them. Some even throw in  a started bag of feed.  Also CL is a good source for  dog run panels, which can be used as a basis , with smaller mesh wire on the inside to keep preds from grabbing any birds or parts of birds through the wire.

Thanks for the idea! I will check it out

At least they somewhat realistic on how many hens it keep. 2. I would look to only get three hens as mention. and size a coop for 6 or eight. That way when you do order or buy everyone 3 turns into 4 or 5. And there still room to add a few more. Just my 2 cents.

Scott

Yes. It should work perfectly for what you want. I have had a coop like this for over 6 months and it has worked great for my two full sized hens. I hope you enjoy keeping chickens. :D

Back
Top Bottom