Is this a good deal on an incubator?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by WriterofWords, Jan 27, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I was offered an incubator today, it is a R-Com Digital Incubator, R-Com 20 standard version. It has a tray for chicken/duck/goose eggs, a tray for quail eggs and the standard adjustable tray. It's been used one time and is in great shape. The guy is offering it to me for $300 and will take payments. He said I can try it out in the class on a hatch and then decide. If it's a good deal though I'm going to try and start raising funds to buy it.
    Kate

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    If it works good then yes. But i would try to see if i could get it a little cheaper, at lest try, most people will go a little lower in price. But no mater what that is a good price.

3. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you, I think it is too now. I just looked at one on Ebay and the buy it now price is 459 + shipping and it doesn't have all the extra size egg trays. Have you used one of these?
    Kate

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I have one and they are great, but I paid $380 for mine new, so you might try negotiating a bit. Brinsea have had them as cheap as $280 for ones with cosmetic issues, but they come with the same 2 yr warranty as the perfect ones. I think the warranty alone makes it worth buying a new one.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My rule is 50% of best retail price for anything used. $300 is ok if it's in mint
    condition. You can buy it direct from Brinsea for just over $400.

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you I'll check Brinsea out.

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Cara I was just looking at Brinsea and the model like the one I'm thinking of buying is $459 on their site, and the egg trays are $25 ea. Where on the site did you find them for less?
    Kate

8. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    They had a special running on all the R-COM models when I bought mine in September; I think it was a back-to-school sale. The 20 had $100 off, and the 3 had $50-75 off. You might check out whether they have any educational discounts, I have a feeling they do on some models and packages.

There is a little red circle to click on from their homepage with special offers. They seem to vary all the time. The R-COM20 is $409 at the moment on there. I haven't found the extra trays to be necessary, the universal one has worked just fine for me.

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thanks I did finally find some educational specials but not on this one. And I did see the 409, I emailed them about any others or discounts they might have.

10. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I think that is a good deal. Those trays alone are $25.

My husband and I paid close to $450 for the machine and all the trays! (and shipping)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by