Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by vogel414, Dec 3, 2012.

1. vogel414

vogel414 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Nebraska
    I am not too price savvy... I have a chance to buy two pairs of turkeys. Sweetgrass for $80 and Narrangansett for $75 (I thought about offering $55). Can someone please tell me if these are good prices? I am not having luck researching it on here nor Google.

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Here, toms tend to go for $30, hens, well, you don't see many for sale. I could see them going for forty, though I wouldn't pay that for them. I guess it would depend on how old they were. Still, sounds a little bit high. I'm not sure what sweetgrass are worth, but I'd probably pay $50 at most for a pair of POL narris.

3. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    If they are mature birds that sounds fair to me, they have consumed quiet a bit of feed to reach maturity. ($75 a pair)

4. vogel414

Dec 2, 2012
    Nebraska
    They are several years old. And breed well. He sells offspring. Or I should say sold..

5. WVstruttin

WVstruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    WV
    Thats a very fair price for both pairs!!!

6. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Define several - optimal breeding ages are 1-4 years from what I hear, older than that and fertility starts to decline.

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Several years old? No. He got the most productivity out of them, and now wants to sell you them for a high price that one might sell POL pairs at. By POL, I mean about 7 months to a year. A POL goes for more, because they raised them, and YOU get the productivity, not because they are past their prime or only have a year left to lay well. Laying chicken hens (breed dependant) go for $20 a POL, while hens past their prime are usually free or up to $5. You can see the major price difference, and should not be paying that much for breeding turkeys past their prime either.

8. vogel414

Dec 2, 2012
    Nebraska
    They are 2 years old. Sorry I should have been specific instead of saying several. I guess that's what I get for multitasking.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I would consider the price to be fair if they are nice quality birds and healthy. The farmer is selling them for a lot less than he has in them.

10. I got some for $20 for the pair

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by