Is this a good diet???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pamperedpoultry, Feb 6, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Right now I'm feeding my chickens either a mix of scratch feed and laying pellets or game bird feed and laying pellets then some left over scraps when we have them.... Is this a pretty good diet??? I have all bantam chickens.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the layer ration their primary source? Does it contain grit and oyster shell, or are you offering it separately?

Scratch is a treat...

I have only 12 layers and offer layer pellets containing grit and oyster, and in winter I supplement with fresh plant material and occasionally some mixed grains, but I rely on the layer ration to ensure adequate protein.

How are your birds doing? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. pamperedpoultry

I feed about 70 bantam chickens and what I do is take the layer pellets and the scratch feed normally 2 scoops of each in a bucket and mix it up then start to feed I've got 10 small pens with pairs, trio's and quads, then I've got 2 runs one with 40+/- and 1 with around 20 in it. I'm not sure if the layers have the the grit or the oyster I've been meaning to fix something to where I can put some in there pen seperate.....

4. pamperedpoultry

also the game bird feed that I get sometimes is 10% it looks like a mixture of 7 different things. I sometimes mix it with the layer instead of the scratch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by