is this a good electric fence charger for goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sdshoars, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:LOL, I can't explain the physics real well but honest what current it plugs into has nothing whatsoever to do with what shock it delivers [​IMG] ANY charger can deliver a 5-6,000v zap, the question is, over what length of what sort of fence. For some, the answer is like "ten feet of single-strand aluminum wire" which is not gonna do it for you <g>

What matters is the strength ("size") of the charger in relation to the length and resistance of the fence you're using. The longer the fence (that is, total length of energized strands -- a 3-strand fence is effectively 3 times as 'long' as a single-strand fence) and the more resistive the material (tape is more resistance than steel fence wire, steel is a bit more resistance than aluminum, narrow-gauge wire is more resistance than thin, cheap tape or cheap electromesh is often more resistance than more expensive, etc), the less of a charge the charger will be able to hold on the fence. Your soil conditions matter too -- takes a bigger charger to deliver X amount of zap in dry or frozen soil than on nice moist turf.

Unfortunately it is not simple or easy to choose charger size. TOTALLY IGNORE all the box-label cr*p about "charges x miles of fence", as the number they give has NOTHING TO DO with real-world performance. Your best bet is to ask the mfr's customer service people which of their chargers they'd recommend for your particular fence setup (you will have to describe your fence, size, material, climate, etc)

Sorry not to be able to give a magic quickie answer but really it is worth doing the research and calling-around to get the RIGHT charger. One that's undersized for your fence conditions is almost worse than no charger at all, as it lulls you into a false sense of security while wasting you money [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. sdshoars

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    wow. thanks! um... i will have a little over a mile of fence with a "50 mile" charger. i would figure that would be good... lol.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh, it's really not that simple. Like I said, it depends what kind of fence on what kind of ground, and you CANNOT take that number on the box to mean anything at all.

In some situations, a so-called 50 mile charger would be woefully inadequate to run a mile of fencing at 5-6k v.

Talk to the manufacturer's customer service phone people, honest. (NOT the feed store guy, who will talk a good line but 85% is totally clueless, no matter what stock he does or does not have at home)

Pat

5. sdshoars

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    well thanks! i will call them before buying then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by