Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muscovy94, Jan 4, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I have a broody silkie that will has been broody for about 3 days but all of a sudden decided to get off and not come back, so I went and got her and put her on the nest and she settled on them and sat on them. i'm scared she might do this again so I am thinking about putting something to cover the nest box so she can't get out, but let her out myself a couple times a day while I supervise her. sorry if this sounds crazy or mean, It just really made me sad when my other silkie girl decided to set. She got to about 2 weeks and then just decided to come off them and didn't come back. I cracked them all open and every single one had a baby in it.

Thanks. Please tell me what you think.

2. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Any one? pLease?

3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    yes it is a good idea to have her in her own cage/ area as to where she can not get of the nest, if you are worried about her leaving, as long as you do remember to let her out to do her business and eat and drink, if you dont want to go this route you could always go with an incubator. but just keep a eye on your girl and see what she does, but sometimes segregating her is a good thing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by