Is This a Good Mix of Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RhodeIslandRedFan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I now have 3 hens (1 Production Red, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 1 Easter Egger). I am thinking of adding four more layers (chicks) this spring: 1 Production Red, 1 Black Sex-link, 1 White Leghorn, and 1 Araucana (which the feed-store gentleman swore was pure breed but which I am assuming will be an Easter Egger - which is what I really want anyway). Does anyone see anything wrong with this mix? I understand leghorns can be flighty. Has anyone had any experience with them being aggressive to their other hens? Thank you for your help!

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    That sounds great! I want to get trio of EE's really bad! I want to eat green eggs and ham! Haha
    I have a mix of RIR's, Buffs Orphingtons, Barred Rocks, and Sex Links. EE's would great to add!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well now there is no such thing as a "bad" mix of chickens unless you include silkies which if you know me aren't real chickens. If your happy that's all that counts.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    How about adding one that lays deep brown eggs to add even more color to your egg basket? That's what I'd do if I could have more...

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Quote:What exactly are Silkies?

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:What exactly are Silkies?

Silkies are aliens pretending to be chickens. They suck your brains out while your sleeping. They can read your thoughts so wear a tin foil hat when you are around them. They make you do weird things like put ribbons in their hair and paint their toe nails. Very dangerous things they are. Don't get any, stay away from them.

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Thanks for your quick responses! By good mix of chickens I simply meant would they be likely to get along? I have only had chickens for a little over a year and so far I've been lucky in that my hens have gotten along once the pecking order was established. I know that more hens means a greater chance of chicken nastiness, and I am trying to add layers that are cold weather hardy and are not prone to being aggressive. And yes, I thought of adding a Marans for egg color but I decided not to add too many at one time. Anyone have any bad experiences with white leghorns?

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love silkies!

To the OP: My question is are you sure that your araucana will be a large fowl- not a bantam. I have ordered "araucanas" and received bantam EEs. Then I have my large fowl EEs which were called "ameraucanas."

I would recommend not putting *one* bantam with LF.

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I like a mixed flock. I think you are going to like your leghorn cause she will lay! It is better to introduce several at once, rather than a single hen at one time, as then the pecking order seldom involves one bird getting picked on endlessly.

Now, the behavior of birds is kind of, sort of, generally speaking, sometimes, almost always, kind of according to breed. But then again, you can have birds that don't follow it at all.

Throw them all together, and wait a month, then decide.

Make sure you have enough space, have different levels in the run, and hideouts. And then you should not have any real problems.

I have 3 production reds, (they are good layers) a buff orpinton, who is my favorite, a white leghorn, and two EE, and a EE roo. They are getting along very well!

MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by