Is this a good thing?

newbie32

Songster
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Low Desert, CA
I introduced an 8 week old polish hen and two 4 week(maybe 3 weeks idk) old silkies to my flock today. They were quarantined together and every time one of my buffs got close to the babies my polish would freak out and attack. My buffs are all 8 weeks old too and were kind of scared so they left her and the babies alone for the most part. Anyways she was extra protective of them and I was grateful. is this normal at such a young age? She is only 8 weeks. And is this going to impede the acceptance of the flock towards her and the chicks or is this a good thing?

She may just have been defending her space. Or thought that she could get to the new to her pullet that came close. Not being there I can't say why she was doing it. The answer will come when you let them mingle without a barrier. You can never be sure how an integration will go.

She may just have been defending her space. Or thought that she could get to the new to her pullet that came close. Not being there I can't say why she was doing it. The answer will come when you let them mingle without a barrier. You can never be sure how an integration will go.

I have been watching them all day! They are integrated into the flock and she is now alpha hen! And if the baby silkies cry for her she runs and goes after any hen close to them. She really does think she is 'momma' and they are hers. I think I am glad because she will keep the babies protected. One of my buffs got curious and pecked the baby, she freaked and jumped on her LOL. They follow her everywhere and she keeps an eye on them. I think she will be a very good momma to raise my future buffs!!

Back
Top Bottom