Is this a good way to bond with my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenegg4, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Chickenegg4

Chickenegg4 New Egg

Sep 6, 2012
    I try to bond with my two week old chicks by taking walks with them on my shoulder. Is this a good way to bond with them? I would appreciate all suggestions of how to bond with them.
    Thank you

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Nothing wrong with how you want to raise your chickie! Everyone has different opinion! If its your pet you can choose any way to raise her. Just have fun

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My bonding strategy involves minimal handling where I actually pick a bird up. Rather I encourage individuals to be bonded to come to and jump up on me when given a specific signal. This gives bird more control causing it less stress. During early stages with chicks, I use live meal worms as enticement. Each time I desire interaction a particular container is brought out and I actually designate names for birds to be tamed / trained. It takes very little time to get birds to point where they will run across yard when specific name is called and some will fly up into hands or shoulder and perch there. My trained birds to be used around kids and folks with minimal experience with birds are expected to land on hands. Done properly and I can have a gamecock that is trustworthy around five year old kids and hens that will call entire brood up into my lap for handling without me being flogged.

4. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    i would sit with mine as they ran around me and let them eat their food out of my hand. id also snag one and hold them once in a while. mine are pretty good chicken, never have tried to hurt me

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I did the same thing. I was the most interesing thing in their little lives.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pennychaney89

pennychaney89 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Cute pix!! I have 3 chicks...I got 1 and then 2more a week later. The chick I got first has a closer bond with me then the others. I wonder if the other 2 will bond with me soon ??

Shaq (my first chick) jumps out of brooder when i come in the room and when he hears my voice and runs up my arm i love it :D

7. pennychaney89

pennychaney89 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    How old is this chick in the photos??

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The chick in the first photo was about 2 weeks old. They are 3-4 weeks in the other photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by