Is this a good weight?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Anna_MN, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    This is my first time having any meat birds. I have 14 jumbo cornish X rocks. I did an average weight yesterday and they weigh 12 oz. They are 2 weeks old. Is this normal or do they need to get their diet beefed up?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi, I had meat birds last year and Yes they do grow 2X faster than normal. After two weeks of age it is advised to only have feed in with them 12 hours a day. They can grow too fast for their bones and heart and can die or break legs.
    I found last year that if I gave them feed at 7 pm and took it away at 7 am that they did gain but since they slept some of the time feed was in with them - they did very well and stayed health till the end. I free ranged them during the day for the free fertilizer. Most people butcher at 4 - 8 weeks. We kept our until they where small turkey sized at 11 - 12 weeks. They tasted great but, didn't fit in 1 gal freezer bags.

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes that is a good weight. Mine were an average of 10 oz 2 weeks and I was worried because they were behind the Welp chart. But by the time they got to be 8 weeks old they dressed out just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by