Is this a great price for these??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by funonahonda, Jan 17, 2009.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    We are buying White Bearded Silkies 2 just started laying and 1 roo the same age and 7 chicks that were hatched at the end of september all for $59.00 is that a good price.

2. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    So, ten birds all together? Do you know if they are show quality?

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It depends on the quality. Do you have a picture? I wouldnt pay that for pq, but for bq or sq thats a great price.

Where are you getting them from?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    considering one sold on eggbid for $1200 yes [​IMG]

5. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    In my personal opinion $1200 for a chicken is ridiculous!

Most chickens from my experience run from $2 - $50 each depending on show quality. Pet quality birds usually go between Free-$10 each. Breeder quality to decent show quality for between $10-$50 each. I also find the time of year makes a difference in prices. If a breeder is trying to cut back on numbers you could probably pick up some nice birds for good prices. On the other hand if your in the middle of peek show/growing season you may not get the same breeder to part with any of their birds.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    10 birds for $59 is $5.90 each--even for pet quality that is a very good price. My PQ silkies start at $10 and go up, depending on the quality.

7. funonahonda

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I'm not sure if they are pet quality or show quality but, I do know that this ladies daughter took the older hens and rooster to the fair. We are wanting them to have for ourselves and maybe hatch some of there eggs and sell them to get some money for our daughters. Thanks for all the input.

8. funonahonda

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Just got back from getting them and we looked at there toes and they do have 5 toes and they look really nice, I guess they are considered show quality right??

9. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Just because they have 5 toes does not mean they are show quality, you would have to look at the standards to see if they are show quality.

10. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    It definitely depends on the quality. The ones born in Sep. are four months old so might be laying in a few months. (*MIGHT* My silkies were not good layers.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by