Is this a Hamburg?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenbuddy, Nov 19, 2011.

1. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    This guy popped out of nowhere several months ago and has since taken residence in our chicken yard. He looks like a Hamburg to me, but I can't tell if he's a pure breed and if so, what color.
    Sorry the pictures aren't that great, I'm no photographer. He's a healthy bird, but it was rainy when I took the pictures, and my chickens don't always have the sense to stay dry, so that why he looks a little glum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I don't know much about Hamburgs, but he dose look a lot like one. I would guess he is either pure or at least half Hamburg. As far as color I don't know. Maybe Golden Penciled or Golden Spangled.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know what breed it is, but it doesn't look healthy in any of those pics. Roosters should be active and proud, displaying themselves for the girls, even if they don't have access to them. I'd either get rid of him or confine him and investigate what might be wrong.

edited--okay, I looked again and he may just be molting, that could account for the hangdog look. He looks like a handsome guy when he's feeling well.

4. chickenbuddy

Jun 4, 2008
    Sorry, the pictures are misleading, I give you that. He's wet in most of them since it was a rainy when I took the pictures (even though he has place to get dry). He's definitely perky and shows a lot of interest in the inaccessible ladies in the coop (he tries to get in whenever I'm changing their water.) His neck feathers are regrowing after my puppy got him (I made sure to prevent that from happening again.) Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll edit my original post to let people know.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he does appear to be a hamburg or at least from all the pics of them i have seen 90-95% hamburg. i would isolate him quick he shouldnt be that droopy there is something wrong with him in some shape form or fashion and i dont believe that its molting. i have owned and been around chickens my whole life and have never seen a roo in molt droopy. the only time they have been dropy is when they were sick and maybe thats why his orginal owner dumped him. he might have something that requires him to be culled and the owner didnt want to do that (although that would be irrisponsable it does happen).

i highly recomened you qurinten him and if he doesnt get better (more perky holding his tail up higher ect) take him a vet if you can afford to.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    He may be of Hamburg but his body is too upright, more like a OE Modern. It may be just the pose of the chicken as he is moving around. Looks like he was ready to crow all the time with that kind of posture LOL!

He is a lovely boy tho!

7. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    He might have recieved an injury during the dog attack. That might explain his uprightedness....or he is just copying mommy! Haha. Hes a hamburg.

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    He's standing with his tail down like that because it was raining when the OP took the pics!

9. chickenbuddy

Jun 4, 2008
    Quote:Do modern games have standard varieties?

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Do modern games have standard varieties?

Yes but as far as I know, there are no rose comb varieties. But I am very certain there is a color of that in OE's. I am not familiar with OE's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by