Is this a hawk sound in the woods?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HeatherTheMommy, Nov 4, 2015.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I have been thinking about letting my girls free range in the evening but when i went out to give some scraps i heard a wild bird in the trees. Is it a hawk? Im new to all of this. I know it may be hard to hear so you have to turn the volume up. I can hear it when i play the video on my phone. Thank you

[VIDEO]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm....I didn't exactly hear anything that sounded like a hawk, but I could be wrong. We get a lot of them around our property, so I'm pretty well acquainted with their calls. Your girls are so adorable, by the way! [​IMG]

-Alex

3. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Thank you were you able to hear the bird in the trees tho? My dominque always sits at my feet and pecks my boots lol

4. Alexandra33

When I turn the volume all the way up, I can detect it. Doesn't it kind of have a warble to its voice? Your girl is so incredibly cute. [​IMG]

-Alex

5. Gerard Dawn

Gerard Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    USA
    Nice girls. Free range is the way to go but with hawks and other predators it makes us scared to let our chickens roam free. If you believe its a hawk noise then I suggest you don't let them out free range.

6. HeatherTheMommy

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I dont know how to describe it but i was concerned because it sounded close

7. Alexandra33

Since a dog attack this summer, we've been to afraid to let our girls out to free-range all day. Thankfully, none got killed, but the whole ordeal still scared us half to death. A good system is to let them out an hour or two before they go to roost at night, and supervise the entire time. This is what I've been doing for quite a few months, and it really works. They get free-range time, and you get peace of mind.

-Alex

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  8. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    I would suggest you try to record the sound away from your girls so we could hear the wild bird clearer. I cannot her enough to tell.

9. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    Free ranging has it risks, I free range my chickens and have hawks, bobcats and coyotes in the area. But I have both rooster and dogs with the hens whenever they are out.

10. Fentress

Fentress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Chesapeake, Va.
    Hawk is a high pitched type of sound. One continuous note/sound drawn out for a little while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by