Is this a hen or a roo?

MikeNH

Hatching
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Could anyone tell me if this is a Roo? I bought all 4 of my chickens on May 1st. This one is growing faster, has a bright red comb but no spurs. At what age do Roos get spurs. I'm hoping this is a hen as I've grown attached to her. If it's a Roo, I'll have to give him away because I can't have a Roo where I live. TIA for any feedback.

56890_100_1904.jpg

56890_100_1903.jpg

At a guess I would not like to say but she does look like she is standing up more proud and dominant than the other 2 in the picture and the tail feather look like they are going to be a nice display.
I have an odd ball too and she/he does cocker doodle doo sometimes and does not lay. But I live with few neighbours close by, shame if you had to get rid of her she/he looks a lovely bird.
How can you tell a hen from a cockeral from underneath am I missing something?
Good luck with the diagnosis. x

Sorry.
sad.png
See how the feathers go up and curl over and the tail feathers of the other don't? That's one of the easiest ways for me to tell the difference on roos/hens.

that's definetly a cock-a-doodle-roo! Sorry.
hide.gif

he has a large comb/wattles, he looks like he is already getting pointy hackle/saddle feathers and just look at those curved tail feathers. It seems like it's always the favoite that turns out to be a roo. I think it's because they tend to be more friendly and outgoing that the pullets when they are growing up. Go figure
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom