1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mnmom4, Oct 22, 2015.

1. mnmom4

mnmom4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Columbus, MN
    This is a picture of my 19-20 week old Buff Orpington in the front, next to my almost year old Buff Orpington hen in the back. Could this be a rooster? I just noticed today how different it looks than my other two Orpingtons. I haven't noticed any crowing yet, but there are several roosters in the area who are noisy all day. So I certainly could've missed it. [​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You have a cockerel. He probably isn't crowing so as not to call attention to himself and get his butt kicked by the other roosters.

3. fnwolffie

fnwolffie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2015
    Temecula, ca
    Rooster :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

5. Tina88

Tina88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2015
    Riverside, AZ
    [​IMG]
    Prince or Princess

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking Prince, but how old?

1 person likes this.
  7. Tina88

Oct 20, 2015
    Riverside, AZ
    Thanks for your answer :) I have no idea how old. I got 'him' from my brother in law and all he said was they are just starting to lay. That was Aug. 22. He has a bunch of all different kinds in a pen and I picked some and he picked some. Of course I picked this one. We got 6 at that time. Something got 2 of them :( so now it looks like we ended up with 2 cockerels and 2 pullets. When we first got 'him' thinking we got a pullet my grandson named it Princess. Looks like I need to change his name. Now that I know what to look for, I'll be more careful of picking my next ones, lol.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not knowing age makes it harder to be sure. The bird looks like a younger cockerel to me, maybe around 4 months old. do you have any pics from when you first got it?

9. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    In answer to both of the chickens..... Are the feathers on their back pointed (male) or rounded (female? These are called saddle feathers and at the age of these chickens it will be obvious what sex they are.[​IMG]

10. Tina88

Oct 20, 2015
    Riverside, AZ
    That picture was taken on Aug 27th and this one was taken a few days ago on Oct. 21st. Oh and by chance do you know what breed he is? Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by